Wedding cake is just there to feed your guests right? Wrong! There are lots of weird and wonderful big day traditions surrounding wedding cake – here are eight favorites…
1. Cutting the cake represents the first task a couple will do together
This is why everyone stands around and watches you holding a knife together – even though it only takes two seconds!
2. The traditional tiered shape is inspired by a church
Apparently a man called Thomas Rich started that traditional in 1703. He was a baker’s apprentice and wanted to make an extravagant cake for his bride, so he drew inspiration from St Bride’s Church in London.
3. Wedding cakes were originally made of wheat
Wheat is a traditional a symbol of fertility and the wheat was plucked from the cake and thrown over the bride (erm, we’ll take confetti thanks).
4. Wedding cakes used to be broken over the bride’s head
This was to symbolise breaking the bride’s virginity (lovely) – we can definitely see why this traditional faded out – not only does it have a pretty outdated sentiment, but think of the hair crumbs!
5. White cakes were a status symbol
White sugar used to be an expensive luxury; so having an all-white wedding cake was proof of the couples’ wealth and importance.
6. Keeping the top tier of your wedding cake tradition has been around for a while!
Couples traditionally save it for their first anniversary or their baby’s christening. It became more commonplace once freezers were readily available, but a slice of Queen Victoria’s wedding cake went up for auction this year (we wouldn’t advise eating it though)!
7. Your groom should have his own cake
Groom’s cakes originated in Victorian times and were served as a second option to the main cake and often featured heavier flavours, such as alcohol or chocolate, as these were thought to be more suited to the “stronger sex” – errr a chocolate cake just for him? Whatever.
8. A slice of wedding cake can predict the future
It is said that if a wedding guests sleeps with their slice of wedding cake under their pillow they will dream of their future partner (it’ll be a nightmare to clean the sheets mind).